A bride asked William of Six Hearts Photography what they should do for their exit in order to get the best photos. We loved his response so much that we had to share. And then together, Schellie and William share 10 of their ideas for your wedding exit below.
Q: “I have a quick question about wedding send offs. A few suggestions to what we can do – bubbles, petals, sparklers to name a few. From your previous experience with wedding photography, are there any popular ideas that you would advise against for photos? I imagine some ideas turn out great in photos, and others are better in real life and not so great in pictures.”
A: “It really comes down to personal taste. All the methods have upsides and downsides. Nearly all of our weddings this year have done sparklers. They have been trending for a while and seem to be here to stay. I recommend getting the longer sparklers and not the short ones. Also if you get a $20 propane torch from Lowes, it will make lighting them much easier. We had a wedding recently that did bubbles and sparklers. People love getting to play with a sparkler and the bubbles really help keep the kids occupied during the reception. Rice and Birdseed is out for sure. I have actually seen people throwing the entire bag without opening it. Ouch. It doesn’t show up in pictures well and you will never get it out of your clothes or your getaway car for that matter. Petals are about the same as rice and birdseed and probably difficult to clean up. Most people have sparklers but if you let me decide from the choices you gave, I would say to go with the petals only because it would be something different for our website. Even better for pictures would be quality party popper confetti things although you’re gonna want to run that one by the venue. If you really wanna show your guests a good time, you could give them all silly string. The lamest thing I have seen was sticks with a ribbon tied to them that people twirled around. If you want something really original for them to throw at you like cotton poofy things, maybe walk through a hobby lobby or Michaels and think about what won’t hurt. Hope this helped.”
We hope that got you thinking, cause it sure made us think more.
As mentioned, Schellie and William of Six Hearts put together a few unique exit ideas for you. Enjoy!
1. Money Exit – throw fake money, or real, to look like a Baller Rockstar in your exit.
2. Hot Air Balloon – though this is only fun for you and doesn’t really include your guests – give them real balloons to hold onto while you float off in yours!
3. Butterflies – WHAAAAT, didn’t know you could do that, huh?
4. Silly String – C’mon, you know you wanna play with it every time you see a can in the store.
5. Sky Lanterns – Hello, Tangled! 😉
6. Glow Sticks – Get the long ones!
7. Confetti – biodegradable of course (The Confetti Bar, an Official Friendor is a great source for this!)
8. Paper Airplanes – you could even make this a reception activity for your guests by getting those airplane folding books with the patterned pages.
9. Ride off on a Horse – much like the hot air balloon, this doesn’t really include your guests – you can give your guests custom designed horse sticks as a party favor. Okay, maybe that second part is weird. Or weirdly cool. You decide.
10. Pom Poms – the tiny colorful ones!
Also, we have a question: why do we throw stuff at the bride and groom as they’re leaving? Weird.
Any more ideas? Share them with us in the comments below!